Focusing on holistic, personalized mental health care.
AAPPN members are Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioners (PMHNP) who diagnose and treat mental illness. More importantly, they take the time to partner with patients to help them achieve their own goals. They integrate biological, psychological, social, and spiritual elements to treat the whole person. Many are involved in clinical research to improve mental health care.
AAPPN members practice in a variety of settings:
- Outpatient facilities
- Community clinics
- Schools and universities
- Private practice
AAPPN also welcomes students in PMHNP graduate programs.
- Protect and enhance the scope of advanced practice psychiatric nursing
- Support professional autonomy, authority and visibility
- Advocate for the advanced practice psychiatric nurse in all settings
- Maintain excellence in practice via peer education, publication, consultations and annual educational conferences
- Advocate for patients’ rights and access to care