Advanced Psychiatric Nurse Practitioners must complete three renewal requirements to practice in the state of Washington.
Washington State Department of Health Nursing Care Quality Assurance Commission
- State RN licensure – every year – to maintain status as an active Registered Nurse in the state of Washington.
- State ARNP licensure – every two years – to maintain licensure as an ARNP in the state of Washington.
American Nursing Credentialing Center
ANCC certification – every five years – to become and maintain certification in an advanced practice psychiatric-mental health nursing specialty as nurse practitioner or clinical nurse specialist.
- Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Practitioner – Across the Lifespan (PMHNP-BC) – New and renewal
- Adult Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP-BC) – Renewal only
- Adult Psychiatric-Mental Health Clinical Nurse Specialist (PMHCNS-BC) – Renewal only
- Child/Adolescent Psychiatric-Mental Health Clinical Nurse Specialist (PMHCNS-BC) – Renewal only
Notes regarding renewals
- Remember that you must complete each of the renewal processes above.
- If you are duel credentialed (for example, as an FNP), you must complete requirements for each of your licenses and certifications.
- Washington State and ANCC make periodic changes to requirements. Be sure to check their websites at least once a year to ensure you are meeting the requirements.
Need more continuing education contact hours to meet your renewal requirement? Check out AAPPN’s eLearning Center for recorded versions of our conferences, master classes, and other online programs.