Many thanks to the AAPPN members who suggested titles and online reading guides for our cultural humility reading list.
- Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates
- How to Be an Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi
- Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson
- Long Walk to Freedom: The Autobiography of Nelson Mandela by Nelson Mandela
- Me and White Supremacy by Layla F. Saad
- Mountains Beyond Mountains: The Quest of Dr. Paul Farmer by Tracy Kidder
- So You Want to Talk About Race by Ijeoma Oluo
- The Fire This Time: A New Generation Speaks edited by Jesmyn Ward
- The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander
- What does it Mean to be White by Robin DiAngelo
- White Fragility: Why It’s So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism by Robin DiAngelo
- Why I’m No Longer Speaking to White People About Race by Reni Eddo-Lodge
- Witnessing Whiteness by Shelly Tochluk
- You Don’t Have to Say You Love Me by Sherman Alexie
- U.S. Businesses Must Take Meaningful Action Against Racism, by Laura Morgan Roberts and Ella F. Washington, Harvard Business Review (June 2020)
- America is on Fire, by Dr. M. Lee Pelton, President, Emerson College (June 2020)
- Study: Eliminating Racial Disparities in Maternal and Infant Mortality, by By Jamila Taylor, Cristina Novoa, Katie Hamm, and Shilpa Phadke, Center for American Progress (May 2019)
- The Harm Of A Colorblind Allocation Of Scarce Resources in Health Affairs, by Nathan T. Chomilo, Nia Heard-Garris, Malini DeSilva, and Uché Blackstock, Health Affairs (April 2020)
- The Detrimental Impact of the COVID-19 Crisis on Health Equity and Social Determinants of Health, by Shah, Gulzar H. PhD, MStat, MS; Shankar, Padmini PhD, RD; Schwind, Jessica S. PhD, MPH, CPH; Sittaramane, Vinoth PhD, Journal of Public Health Management & Practice (July/August 2020)
University of Washington Resources
Where to find books to purchase or read online
- Washington Anytime Library is a collection of electronic books (eBooks) and electronic audio books (eAudioBooks) for public libraries throughout Washington State.
- IndieBound.org is a network of hundreds of independent bookstores sharing book recommendations and connecting readers and authors.
- Pacific Northwest Booksellers Association provides a list of member bookstores in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, and Alaska.