AAPPN’s 2019 Lobby Day is Wednesday, February 6.
Raise your hand and let your legislators know about the work you do and the importance of Advanced Practice Psychiatric Nurses in our communities.
But don’t delay! It is very important that you make appointments with your legislators today, as their schedules fill up quickly.
How to Contact Your Legislators
If you don’t know who your legislators are, look them up at http://app.leg.wa.gov/districtfinder/.
- Call to schedule your meeting. When calling:
- Ask to speak to the person responsible for scheduling.
- Let them know you are a constituent and are attending as part of AAPPN Lobby Day.
- Ask for a meeting between 10:30 a.m.-4 p.m. You will be scheduled for a 15-minute time slot. Be sure to leave at least 15 minutes between meetings, as your other legislators may be across campus.
- If you can only be scheduled with a legislative aide, remember, legislative aides are important! They analyze specific legislation and frame the issues for the lawmakers. Legislative aides have considerable influence and many are future lawmakers.
- Email Chris Crosser at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you will be attending and who you have appointments with.
Lobby Day Schedule
In the morning, you’ll receive a briefing from 9-10 a.m. from our lobbyists, Melissa Johnson and Jennifer Muhm. AAPPN will provide refreshments. Then, you’ll visit your legislators to spend a few minutes talking about your professional experience.
At your appointments, you will educate your legislator about what you do and its importance to the public. We’ll provide you with a handout for your legislators, and if there are specific bills that are important, you’ll be provided with information and an additional handout. You don’t need to be an expert. You just need to care about supporting your profession!
Want to carpool to Olympia? If you are offering a ride or would like to join a ride, post a message on the listserv to let other members know your interest.
If you have any questions, please contact Chris Crosser at email@example.com or 360-734-3166.