Legislative Update: July 2017
The Washington State Legislature passed the budget during its third special session and adjourned on July 20, 2017. During the special session, the Legislature also passed one of the bills AAPPN was monitoring—SB 5106 Involuntary Treatment Act. The bill’s sponsor was Senator Steve O’Ban (R) in the 28th Legislative District.
- This legislation revises the procedures for petition for court review of initial detention decision under the ITA.
- It also revises the provisions requiring a DMHP to consult with an ER physician during an initial commitment evaluation.
- It allows designated chemical dependency specialists to evaluate and sign a petition for involuntary commitment for substance use disorder treatment.
- Governor Inslee signed on July 6, 2017
- Session Law (Chapter 14, 2017 Laws 3rd Special Session)
- Effective 10/19/2017.
Since Washington State operates on a biennium, or two-year cycle, bills not voted on during the 2017 legislative session will be reintroduced in the 2018 legislative session.
If you would like to become more involved and help set AAPPN’s 2018 legislative priorities, please join us at our 2017 Legislative Retreat on Saturday, August 5. To RSVP, please email AAPPN Executive Director Kirk Roberts at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the office at 360-734-3166.